Resourceful Preparation for Justice GA
Justice General Assembly (GA) is near, with only a bit more than a month until kick-off, Wednesday, June 20th. Unitarian Universalists and the Unitarian Universalist Association have created many online and interactive resources on current immigration issues in the United States, its complicated history and how this affects us today. There are so many resources, in fact, that it is hard to remember them all! We hope this list of resources helps you and your community prepare for Justice GA. -Ed.
- ” The Doctrine of Discovery—the legal justification for the colonization of the Americas and the subordination of aboriginal people—is a narrative unfamiliar to many Americans.Yet the Doctrine is so deeply embedded in American and Western culture that it hides in plain sight.” (Doctrine of Discovery Discussion Guide, UUA 2012) Watch The Doctrine of Discovery: The True Story of Colonizing the Americas video featuring a multi-generational discussion between a child and grandfather on this issue, and use the discussion guide to have a conversation in your community.
- Attend a How to Be An Ally at Justice GA Conference Calls. Sign up here. Tuesday, June 5 at 8 p.m. & 10 p.m.& Thursday, June 7 at 8 p.m.,all times EDTWhat does is mean for us to show up at GA in Phoenix as allies–both to marginalized groups within our faith and to our partners in Arizona? What does “cultural humility” mean and how can we show it? What behaviors might ARE members be expected to exhibit, and how can we help others at GA 2012 behave as allies as well? Join us for a one-hour conference call in which we will explore these questions. Calls will be facilitated by the Rev. Dr. Michael Tino, ARE President.
- Join Rev. Susan Karlson, Rev. Dr. Michael Tino and Rev. Colin Bossen in their Theological Reflection on US Immigration on The Journey Toward Phoenix, an internet-based radio blog hosted by Rev. Carlton Elliot Smith of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington, VA.
- Listen to the Justice General Assembly Preparation for Young Adults webinar recording, featuring Laura Gilmore, Young Adult Caucus Co-Moderator; Emrys Staton, Young Adult Caucus Justice Liaison; and Carey McDonald, Office of Youth and Young Adult Ministries Director.
- Join the discussion on Cooking Together, the UUA blog about immigration justice where UUs of all ages and background who are passionate about immigration share, create and adapt materials to help communities faithfully consider and respond to this major issue of our time, whether or not they will be sending delegates to Phoenix for GA 2012.
Let us know what resources you are using so we can add them to the list!
Hope to see you in Phoenix,