General Assembly 2016 is almost here! We are so excited that you will be joining us for this incredible experience. Whether you attend every GA Youth Caucus event or come to orientation and then spend the rest of the week exploring the wide range of events, worships and workshops available throughout General Assembly, and whether this is your first or fifteenth General Assembly – we welcome you!
You’ll find all of your Youth Caucus User Guide materials right here on Blue Boat in a special section. Each post covers a different topic that you’ll want to take a look at before your arrival in Columbus. If you’d prefer, you can download a PDF Version of the User Guide.
Get the GA Mobile App to see program listings and maps, and to create your personal GA schedule and get connected with other attendees.
First, a message from your Youth Caucus Deans:
Calling you, UU, & you! Everybody!
As Youth Caucus Deans, we just finished up leading our GA pre-site meeting and our staff are now more excited and more ready for General Assembly than ever before! We know that General Assembly in Columbus, OH may not feel like the most exciting GA city, but having both been to the city now, we can say it will blow those expectations away to provide an above-average experience!
Unless of course, you happen to attend Youth Caucus programming as well – in which case we can guarantee it will be an even more above-average experience (possibly even above-averagest); whether it’s your first time, or your 4th, our staff have been working hard to ensure that the opportunities will abound for youth to attend enjoyable and educational programming, gather together in worship, and connect with others in the celebration of our faith. We’ve put together a mixture of great programming including workshops about intersectionality, multiculturalism/anti-oppression/anti-racism, fun games, and song-cial justice (no idea what that means? Come to GA to find out!).
We can’t express enough our delight that you will be a part of helping the youth make a sustained impact on the Association. We’re looking forward to seeing you in Columbus!
Sr. Dean Andrea Briscoe
Jr. Dean Eric Broner
Second, here’s some essential information about requirements and location.
Orientation is required for youth and sponsors. Our Youth and Sponsor Orientation is scheduled for 4:00 pm on Wednesday, June 22nd and runs until 5:15 pm in the Youth Caucus room. If you arrive at General Assembly after this orientation, there will be daily make-up opportunities at 8:00 am on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Youth and sponsors are required to attend the first orientation that occurs after their arrival. This is the only required Youth Caucus event.
Youth are welcome to attend whatever programming they wish throughout the entirety of General Assembly. See the programming section for schedules and highlights (below).
Finally, here’s what you’ll find on our pages:
- Sponsor Welcome and Responsibilities: Written to sponsors, it is valuable information for youth and parents as well, about sponsor responsibilities, youth-sponsor relationships, and some agreements that youth and sponsors will want to come to before arriving at General Assembly.
- Programming Highlights: Learn what the Youth Caucus is offering this year, see some highlights from our suggested GA workshop list, and download a blank schedule to plan your GA.
- Get Involved: Looking to lead? There are opportunities to get involved in leadership, whether leading a small group in Youth Caucus or volunteering at this year’s Witness event.
- Get Connected: Join our social media networks on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram, as well as learn about the opportunities to connect in person throughout General Assembly.
- Support at GA: Learn more about what our Chaplain team offers.
- Check Lists: What to do before arriving and what to pack! Don’t forget these essentials.
- Witness: This year’s witness event is unlike anything we’ve ever done. Learn more about what to expect.
- Meet the GA Youth Caucus Staff: This team of 10 youth and 5 adults have been working hard to bring you awesome programming and to serve you at General Assembly. Get to know them better here.
If you have any questions at all about your attendance at General Assembly, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.