Sexuality Toolkit for Campus Ministers
The Unitarian Universalist Association and United Church of Christ are offering a free workshop on sexuality for campus ministers before the National Campus Ministry Association’s (NCMA) annual conference this summer. For details on the conference, and why you should attend, read our new blog post on. The conference will be held from Wednesday, July 10th-Friday, July 12th and the pre-conference training “Sexuality Toolkit for Campus Ministers” will be held on Tuesday, July 9th from 2-6pm.
This workshop is designed specifically for campus ministers, and will enable you to support healthy sexuality in pastoral counseling with individuals and as a leader in your campus community. It will focus on building knowledge, gaining skills, and taking home resources to assist you in your pastoral and prophetic roles.
Led by Melanie Davis, PhD, CSE and Our Whole Lives (Sexuality Education) Program Associate for the Unitarian Universalist Association. Melanie currently teaches sexuality at Moravian College and has taught at Widener University and Marymount College as well.
Also present for questions: Rev. Stephen B. Boyd, Minister for Chaplains and Specialized Ministers for the United Church of Christ; Kayla Parker, Campus Ministry Associate for the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- become more comfortable using sex-positive language
- build knowledge in LGBTQIA identities and concerns
- gain skills in discussing sexuality with students
- learn techniques on how to most effectively affiliate with on- and off-campus resources to create more sex-positive campuses
- gain resources for themselves and students
Topics to be addressed:
- defining sexuality
- how to view sexuality within a spiritual context
- sexual decision making in the campus hookup culture
- LGBTQI issues
- current sexual slang used by college students — ways to keep current
- resources helpful to students
- resources for campus ministers
- how to make appropriate referrals
- how to partner with resources on campus to foster a sexually healthy campus
- partnering with off-campus local clergy
- how to use social media to foster communication between clergy and students
We hope you’ll be able to join us! Register for “Sexuality Toolkit for Campus Ministers” pre-conference training on the NCMA registration page, or if you’ve already registered, email Cody at j.cody.nielsen @ gmail.com.